Converting to electric cars is the need of the hour. Everybody knows that. But no magic wand can change all gas-powered cars into electric vehicles.
Currently, there are over 1.6 billion gas-powered cars on the road. In comparison to that, there are only 18 million electric vehicles. Though sales of electric cars have shown significant promise in the past couple of years, we need to take other paths to achieve the Net Zero Emission Scenario.
One such path is converting the existing fuel-powered cars to electric cars. Yeah, you read that right. Some products on the market can help convert your old gas-powered cars.
We bring you the 7 best motors for electric car conversion kits available on the market today. By using these kits, you can reap the benefits of an electric vehicle.
Before completing the reading, if you do not know the types of electric motors, this is an article about all types of motors used in electric vehicles.
So, without further ado, let’s dive right into it!
Best Conversion Kits for Electric Cars
1. 144V Complete Electric Car Conversion Kit, EV Conversion, Boat Conv., w/Regen!
First up, we have the ME 1507 electric car conversion kit. It weighs only 44 pounds, and it is extremely easy to install. It produces a constant power output of 48 hp and can reach a peak power of 77 hp. This power is decent to take your car from point A to B.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- It practically converts any car into an electric vehicle.
- It has a very easy-to-install interface.
- The throttle, key, speed, brake, and F-N-D Switches are all included in the pre-wired controller control box.
- Ready Pre-wired Waterproof Harness connects quickly, allowing you to get going immediately!
- The seller provides free-tech support to oversee any issues in your conversion.
- The power output is on the lower side of the spectrum.
- The design of the kit is very old. Modern-looking products are available on the market.
- No battery or charger is included in the package.
2 . 120 KW Motor Electric Vehicle Kits for EV Car
You can buy this amazing electric car conversion kit on Alibaba. The best part about this EV conversion kit is its peak output power. This motor can churn out a healthy power output of between 160 and 200 hp. This peak power would ensure pretty decent performance for the converted electric car.
- High performance when moving slowly through traffic, smooth and responsive.
- Has a peak power output of 200 hp.
- The easy-to-install guide makes installation simple.
- Customizable motors and controllers can fit almost any car on the market.
- The operation of the motor is noise-free, just like in a real electric car.
- High price while ordering a single piece as this kit is available on Alibaba, which ships in bulk quantities only.
- No charger or battery is included in the package.
if you have VW Beetle and you want to convert to an electric car check this article: VW Beetle Electric Conversion Kit.
3. High Powered 4KW 72V Electric Car E-Car Brushless Gearless Conversion Kit New
This particular EV conversion kit is a rare find. If the seller’s claims are considered to be true, then this kit will fully convert your fuel-powered car to an EV. The better way would be to call it a hybrid car kit, as this whole kit, can be installed along with the existing engine and transmission.
According to the seller on Amazon, this kit can also be used to convert any car to an all-wheel drive electric car. But for that, you would need to buy at least four of these EV conversion kits, as one kit would fit on each tire.
- The price of a single kit is very economical.
- It is a start-to-end solution, and you won’t need to buy any other supplies for conversion.
- Regenerative brakes would help restore battery power.
- It comes with a good efficiency rate of 85% that can be increased up to 92%.
- With motors on all wheels, you can achieve a top speed of up to 60 mph.
- The power of a single motor is very low.
- Installation is more challenging than it seems.
- The conversion kit interferes with the existing drivetrain of your car.
- No battery nor charger is included in the package.
- You will need at least two kits, as one kit would fit on each tire.
4. 10 kW 72V Electric Vehicle Conversion Kit for Retrofit Car
It is specially designed for those people who want to convert their gas-powered cars to electric vehicles. This AMD-constructed conversion kit is economically priced, with the option to upgrade at a minimal cost. AC motor included in this conversion kit can generate a respectable power output of 10 kW.
- The price is very economical.
- It is a complete end-to-end solution for EV conversion.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It can fit almost all vehicles.
- This conversion kit is completely waterproof.
- BLDC motor comes with an air cooling system
- The package contains all the necessary supplies, and you won’t need to buy anything. AC motor, motor controller, dashboard, converter, and other components are all available in the package.
- The output power is low.
- Installation can be a bit tricky.
5. Complete dual Cooled EV HypE ™ Conversion Kit for Rear-Wheel Drive Vehicle – Low Voltage Max 180 kW – 130 VDC
I’m absolutely in love with EV Europe electric car conversion kits. They have optimized the power output of the conversion kits. In addition to that, these kits are an end-to-end solution.
This particular product is an all-inclusive EV conversion kit for rear-wheel drive vehicles with lithium battery system options. The kit includes pre-assembled, programmed, and assessed parts to easily convert your gas-powered cars.
- It is a complete installation kit, including fuses, hardware, controllers, seals, and tools.
- The kit is based on modern design, maximizing efficiency.
- It comes with a highly durable and operational battery pack.
- The maximum power output of 180kW with a DC inverter
- The installation process for this kit is super-easy. All you have to do is follow the guides.
- Since it is a premium-grade product, it is slightly overpriced.
- Even at this price, battery trays are missing from the package.
6. Complete EV HypE™ Conversion Kit-Low Voltage Max 90kWatt-130V VDC
It is yet another EV Europe electric car conversion kit. It is suitable if you want a complete EV conversion package on a budget. We have reduced the motor’s output power to bring the price down. Despite reducing the power to 90 kW, it would still provide enough strength to reach a top speed of 60 mph as we have maintained the maximum voltage.
- It is an end-to-end solution for complete conversion to an electric car.
- It comes with a set of controllers, throttle, and pre-assembled cables.
- It has a lithium-ion battery pack and a 3.3 Kw or 10 kW fast charger.
- The installation process is very simple, and the user’s guide is very detailed.
- It includes all the necessary buttons and plugs.
- The battery trays are missing from this kit.
- No adapter piece, differential, or gearbox is included in this kit.
7. 3 kW Electric Car Conversion Kit, Which Fully Powers Electric Cars
This is what I can truly call an electric car conversion kit. This kit fits on the rear axle of any car and converts it to an EV. This EV conversion kit includes a controller, a 5 x 12V 100 Ah lithium-ion battery pack, a charger, an accelerator, a steering system, a cooling system, a front suspension system, a brake pump, and the list goes on.
- It is a complete end-to-end solution for converting any car to an electric vehicle.
- The installation guides are very detailed that will aid you during the conversion process.
- This kit is customizable and can fit almost any car.
- It comes with a 1-year long warranty.
- The efficiency of the motors included in this kit isn’t that great.
- The power output is extremely low.
- The price of a single kit might be high as Alibaba ships in bulk quantities only.
If you have a car and want to convert it into an electric car, this article will help you do that: how to convert your car to electric.
Final Word, Best Electric Motor for Car Conversion Kits
Electric cars carry multiple benefits over gas-powered cars. There’s no denying that. We all can agree that electric cars are the way forward. But I see two main problems for people who want to reap the benefits of an electric car. The starting price of electric cars is generally 10-15% higher than gas-powered cars. Secondly, what will you do with the 1.6 billion gas-powered cars on the roads?
EV conversion kits are the answer to both these problems, which is why we bring you the 7 best electric vehicle conversion kits you can buy and turn to electric.
Are you working on converting your existing gas car to an EV? How is your journey going? Do let us know in the comment section below. We would love to hear from you guys.